Trainer: Cara Lukins (BBS, MDI(CPDT), VN)
All dog-training classes are run by Cara Lukins, who Is a qualified Canine Behavioural Specialist and holds a Certificate IV in Dog Behavioural Training and a Bachelor Degree in Behavioural Studies. She has over 24 years of experience as a professional dog behaviourist and has been in the animal care industry for 26 years. Cara has been training dogs since 1995 when she got her own first dog as a 17 year old. Cara worked as a Veterinary Nurse from 1993 until 2008 in general small animal practice, and also from 2001-2008 as an Emergency Veterinary Nurse at a leading After Hours Emergency Vet Hospital in Sydney. She completed the Delta Society Certificate IV in Dog Behavioural Training in 2001 and has had experience with most breeds of dogs over her dog training career. She Has recently completed a Bachelor in Behavioural Studies (with distinctions) which has helped her knowledge in Animal (and human) behaviour.
Cara was an Instructor at a dog training club in Sydney for seven years; the last two years were spent as a chief instructor. In this role she was responsible for training new instructors, arranging guest speakers and organizing classes for up to 100 owners and dogs each week! Cara and her husband moved and settled in Cooma NSW in July 2008 where she has re-established her dog training business which has again, proved to be very successful.
Cara is a member of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers; the Pet Professional Guild Australia and the Pet Professional Guild, USA and the Delta Institute She attends seminars and lectures by world-renowned animal trainers regularly to keep up to date with the most modern techniques in dog training.
- Professional Member of the Pet Professional Guild (USA)
- Professional Member of the Pet Professional Guild (Aust.)
- Member of Association of Pet Dog Trainers (Australia)
- Professional Member of the Delta Institute
Qualifications and Continued Education
- 2018 - Masters in Midwifery
- 2014 - 2017: Bachelor in Behavioural Studies
- 2011: Postgraduate Diploma in Midwifery
- 2007-2010: Bachelor in Nursing
- 2004: Certificate IV Enrolled Nursing
- 2001-2002: Certificate IV Canine Behavioural Training (Delta Society)
- 2002: Certificate IV in Business (Marketing)
- 2001: Certificate in Sales and Marketing
- 1995- 1996: Certificate III & IV in Veterinary Nursing
Continued Educational Courses
- 2018: PPGA (Pet Professional Guild Australia) Summit - Sydney NSW (Speakers: Chirag Patel; Kathy Sdao; Michelle Pouliot; Dr Katrina Gregory)
- 2017: APDT (Association of Pet Dog Trainers) Conference - Adelaide, SA (Speakers: Rise Van Fleet, Dr Susan Freidman, Peta Clarke, Nic Bishop, Veronica Boutelle and Alexis Davison
- 2017: Delta Institute Inaugural Conference "Inside of a Dog" - Sydney NSW (Speakers: Dr Alexandra Horowitz, Dr Kirsti Seksel, Dr Gaille Perry, Veronica Boutelle and Louise Ginman)
- 2017: Dr Bob Bailey 2 day Seminar - Castle Hill NSW
- 2016: Pet Professional Guild Summit, Tampa, Florida USA (Speakers: Dr Karen Overall, Chirag Patel, Emily Larlham, Pat Miller, Sara Richter, Ken Ramirez).
- 2016: Denise Fenzi Dog Sports Seminar - Castle Hill NSW
- 2015: Introduction to K9 NoseWork and Treibball Seminar with Marion Brand and Peta Clarke - Wollongong NSW
- 2015:APDT (Association of Pet Dog Trainers) Conference - Gold Coast, QLD (Speakers: Nando Brown; Chirag Patel; Robin Hood; Veronica Boutelle; Dr Cam Day)
- 2014: Behavioural Adjustment Training (BAT) Instructors Course
- 2014: APDT (Association of Pet Dog Trainers) Conference - Sydney (Speakers: Diane Garrod; Emily Larlham; Peta Clarke; Robin Hood; Marion Brand)
- 2014: Basic and Advanced Life Support
- 2013: APDT Conference - Melbourne (Speakers: Veronica Boutelle; Pia Silvani; Debra Millikan; Debbie Calnon)
- 2013: Equine Clicker Training Conference - Online (Speakers: Shawna Karrasch; Hannah Dawson; Alexandra Kurland; Kay Lawrence)
- 2013: Terri Ryan's Poultry in Motion (Chicken Clicker Training Course) - Sydney
- 2012: APDT Conference - Sydney (Speakers: Grisha Stewart; Dr Sophia Yin; Pat Miller)
- 2012: DPDTA (Delta Professional Dog Trainers Association) Accreditation - Sydney (Speakers: Dr Kersti Seksel and Dr Gaille Perry)
- 2011: APDT Conference - Sydney (Speakers: Kay Lawrence; Dr Gabrielle Carter; Dr Kersti Seksel)
- 2010: APDT Conference - Sydney (Speakers: Ken Ramirez; Steve White; Peta Clarke)
- 2007: SPOT (Safe Pets Out There) training program - Sydney (a program to teach children aged 5-8 years of age how to be safe around dogs)
- 2003: Veterinary Nurses Council of Australia Conference - GOld Coast, QLD
- 2001: APDT Conference - Sydney (Speakers Jean Donaldson and Donna Duford)
- 2000: APDT Inaugral Australian Conference - Sydney (Speakers: Dr Ian Dunbar)
- 1999: British Small Animal Veterinary Association - Birmingham, UK
- 1995: Dog Training Instructors Course - Hornsby, Sydney
Trainer: Rebecca Storey
Rebecca started of her journey with Paws...4 Training as a client with her own Whippet puppy Whisk who she bought to puppy class as a 12 week old pup back in 2012. Whisk quickly progressed to our Intermediate and Advanced classes and has also been a regular member of our Agility group on Saturdays. Bec started assisting Cara with her monthly market stall in 2014 and sells her homemade dog biscuits via Paws..4 Training which have been a huge success with clients. Bec caught the training bug with Whisk and added Spur (another Whippet) to her family in 2014 who has also attended classes.
Bec keeps up to date with the latest dog training methods and is also a keen horsewoman, having ridden since she was very young. She is a qualified equine bodywork practitioner and runs her own horse massage business as well as working at our daycare two days a week and she is also starting to take over some training classes as well. She is always keen to learn more about animal behaviour and has started studying her Certificate IV in Companion Animal Services this year in order to assist with the running of our training classes and is considering doing a cat behaviour course after this.